Posted 4 months ago
Eat Well, Live Well – Millet with Mushrooms and Pumpkin Seeds
1 cup millet
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
½ cup onion, diced
½ cup celery, diced
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
Reduced sodium vegetable broth (optional)
- Cook the millet according to package instructions, using vegetable broth instead of water for more flavor.
- A few minutes before the millet is done, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add mushrooms, onion, celery, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mushrooms have released their liquid.
- Add cooked millet to vegetables in skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the millet seems too dry or too thick, use a little extra water or broth to thin the mixture.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and parsley and serve immediately.
Supportive Care Services Department
Areas Brenda has managed include pediatric and neonatal intensive care units where she was responsible for individualizing therapeutic diets and alternate nutrition support based on specific metabolic needs, medical conditions, and cultural preferences.
Her passion for nutrition was developed at a young age and reared by her grandmother who always instilled the importance of a healthy diet and active lifestyle. When her grandmother became ill, Brenda became aware of the impact nutrition plays in disease prevention and maintaining overall mind and body health.